“At last you have come,” she said, throwing her arms round my neck. “But how pale you are!”
“终于来了,”她一边抱住我的脖子说道。“但你的脸色好苍白!”

I told her of the scene with my father.
我给她讲起了与父亲的场面。

“My God! I was afraid of it,” she said. —
“我的天!我就怕会出这样的事,”她说。 —

“When Joseph came to tell you of your father’s arrival I trembled as if he had brought news of some misfortune. —
“当约瑟夫来告诉你你父亲回来了时,我感到像遭遇了一场灾难一样颤抖。 —

My poor friend, I am the cause of all your distress. —
我的可怜朋友,你所有的困扰都是因为我。 —

You will be better off, perhaps, if you leave me and do not quarrel with your father on my account. —
也许如果你离开我,不为了我和你父亲争吵,你会过得更好。 —

He knows that you are sure to have a mistress, and he ought to be thankful that it is I, since I love you and do not want more of you than your position allows. —
他知道你一定会有一个情妇,他应该庆幸这个人就是我,因为我爱你,我不要求你超越你的地位。 —

Did you tell him how we had arranged our future?”
你告诉他我们如何规划未来了吗?”

“Yes; that is what annoyed him the most, for he saw how much we really love one another.”
“是的,那是让他最恼火的事情,因为他看到我们有多么真心相爱。”

“What are we to do, then?”
“那我们该怎么办呢?”

“Hold together, my good Marguerite, and let the storm pass over.”
“坚持在一起,亲爱的玛格丽特,让这场风暴过去。”

“Will it pass?”
“它会过去吗?”

“It will have to.”
“它不得不过去。”

“But your father will not stop there.”
“但是你父亲不会就此罢休。”

“What do you suppose he can do?”
“你认为他能做什么呢?”

“How do I know? Everything that a father can do to make his son obey him. —
“我要怎样才能知道呢?父亲所能做的一切来让儿子听从他。” —

He will remind you of my past life, and will perhaps do me the honour of inventing some new story, so that you may give me up.”
“他会提醒你我过去的生活,并可能给我一个荣誉,编造一些新故事,以便你放弃我。”

“You know that I love you.”
“你知道我爱你。”

“Yes, but what I know, too, is that, sooner or later, you will have to obey your father, and perhaps you will end by believing him.”
“是的,但我也知道,迟早你会服从你的父亲,也许你最终会相信他。”

“No, Marguerite. It is I who will make him believe me. —
“不,玛格丽特。是我会让他相信我的。” —

Some of his friends have been telling him tales which have made him angry; —
“他的一些朋友告诉了他一些故事,激怒了他; —

but he is good and just, he will change his first impression; —
但他善良公正,他会改变他的第一印象; —

and then, after all, what does it matter to me?”
而且,毕竟,这对我来说又有什么关系呢?”

“Do not say that, Armand. I would rather anything should happen than that you should quarrel with your family; —
“不要这么说,阿尔芒。与其你跟家人争吵,我宁愿发生任何事情; —

wait till after to-day, and to-morrow go back to Paris. Your father, too, will have thought it over on his side, and perhaps you will both come to a better understanding. —
等到今天过后,明天回巴黎吧。你父亲那边也会好好考虑的,也许你们会有更好的理解。” —

Do not go against his principles, pretend to make some concessions to what he wants; —
不要违背他的原则,假装对他想要的让步; —

seem not to care so very much about me, and he will let things remain as they are. —
看起来好像并不那么在乎我,他会让事情保持现状。 —

Hope, my friend, and be sure of one thing, that whatever happens, Marguerite will always be yours.”
希望吧,我的朋友,还有一件事可以确定,无论发生什么,玛格丽特将永远属于你。

“You swear it?”
“你发誓吗?”

“Do I need to swear it?”
“我需要发誓吗?”

How sweet it is to let oneself be persuaded by the voice that one loves! —
多么甜美啊,让自己被所爱之人的声音所说服! —

Marguerite and I spent the whole day in talking over our projects for the future, as if we felt the need of realizing them as quickly as possible. —
玛格丽特和我一整天都在讨论我们未来的计划,仿佛我们迫切地希望尽快实现它们。 —

At every moment we awaited some event, but the day passed without bringing us any new tidings.
我们时刻期待着某种事件的发生,但这一天过去了,没有带给我们任何新的消息。

Next day I left at ten o’clock, and reached the hotel about twelve. My father had gone out.
第二天我十点钟离开,大约十二点钟到达酒店,我父亲已经出去了。

I went to my own rooms, hoping that he had perhaps gone there. No one had called. —
我去了自己的房间,希望他也许去了那里。没有人打电话来。 —

I went to the solicitor’s. No one was there. —
我去了律师那里。没有人在那里。 —

I went back to the hotel, and waited till six. —
我回到酒店,等到六点钟。 —

M. Duval did not return, and I went back to Bougival.
杜瓦尔先生没有回来,我回到布吉瓦尔去了。

I found Marguerite not waiting for me, as she had been the day before, but sitting by the fire, which the weather still made necessary. —
我发现玛格丽特没有像前一天那样等候着我,而是坐在火炉旁边,由于天气的原因仍然需要取暖。 —

She was so absorbed in her thoughts that I came close to her chair without her hearing me. —
她如此沉浸在自己的思绪中,以至于我走近她的椅子她都没有听见。 —

When I put my lips to her forehead she started as if the kiss had suddenly awakened her.
当我亲吻她的额头时,她像是被这个吻突然唤醒了一样。

“You frightened me,” she said. “And your father?”
“你吓到我了,”她说。“你父亲呢?”

“I have not seen him. I do not know what it means. —
“我没有见到他。我不知道这是什么意思。 —

He was not at his hotel, nor anywhere where there was a chance of my finding him.”
他不在自己的旅馆,也不在我可能找到他的任何地方。”

“Well, you must try again to-morrow.”
“嗯,明天你必须再试一次。”

“I am very much inclined to wait till he sends for me. —
“我很想等他来找我。” —

I think I have done all that can be expected of me.”
“我觉得我已经尽了我所能做的一切。”

“No, my friend, it is not enough; you must call on your father again, and you must call to-morrow.”
“不,我的朋友,这还不够;你必须再去见你父亲一次,而且明天再去。”

“Why to-morrow rather than any other day?”
“为什么明天而不是其他任何一天?”

“Because,” said Marguerite, and it seemed to me that she blushed slightly at this question, “because it will show that you are the more keen about it, and he will forgive us the sooner.”
“因为,”玛格丽特说,我觉得她在这个问题上微微脸红,“这将表明你对此更加热切,而他会更快地原谅我们。”

For the remainder of the day Marguerite was sad and preoccupied. —
剩下的一天里,玛格丽特都很伤心和心事重重。 —

I had to repeat twice over everything I said to her to obtain an answer. —
我必须两次重复我对她说的每句话才能得到回答。 —

She ascribed this preoccupation to her anxiety in regard to the events which had happened during the last two days. —
她将这种心事归咎于她对过去两天发生的事件的焦虑。 —

I spent the night in reassuring her, and she sent me away in the morning with an insistent disquietude that I could not explain to myself.
我整夜都在安慰她,她在早上让我心怀着一种坚持不安,我无法说明给自己。

Again my father was absent, but he had left this letter for me:
我父亲又不在,但他留了这封信给我:

“If you call again to-day, wait for me till four. —
“如果你今天再来一次,等到四点钟再走。” —

If I am not in by four, come and dine with me to-morrow. I must see you.”
如果我四点之前还没回来,明天来和我一起吃饭。我必须见到你。

I waited till the hour he had named, but he did not appear. I returned to Bougival.
我等到了他约定的时间,但他没有出现。我回到了布吉瓦尔。

The night before I had found Marguerite sad; that night I found her feverish and agitated. —
前一晚我发现玛格丽特很悲伤,而那天晚上我发现她发烧并且很焦躁。 —

On seeing me, she flung her arms around my neck, but she cried for a long time in my arms. —
看到我,她扑到我怀里,但在我怀里哭了很久。 —

I questioned her as to this sudden distress, which alarmed me by its violence. —
我问她关于这种突然的痛苦,它的强烈引起了我的担忧。 —

She gave me no positive reason, but put me off with those evasions which a woman resorts to when she will not tell the truth.
她没有给我一个确切的理由,而是用那些一位女人用来隐瞒真相的托辞来推脱。

When she was a little calmed down, I told her the result of my visit, and I showed her my father’s letter, from which, I said, we might augur well. —
当她稍微镇定下来时,我告诉她我拜访的结果,并向她展示了我父亲的信,我说我们可以对此感到乐观。 —

At the sight of the letter and on hearing my comment, her tears began to flow so copiously that I feared an attack of nerves, and, calling Nanine, I put her to bed, where she wept without a word, but held my hands and kissed them every moment.
看到信和听到我的评论,她的眼泪开始流得很多,以至于我担心她会发作神经症,于是叫来了Nanine,我让她上床休息,她默默地哭泣,但一直抱着我的手并不停地亲吻。

I asked Nanine if, during my absence, her mistress had received any letter or visit which could account for the state in which I found her, but Nanine replied that no one had called and nothing had been sent.
我问娜宁,我不在的时候,她的女主人是否收到过任何信件或访客,可以解释她现在的状态。但娜宁回答说没有人来过,也没有任何东西送到。

Something, however, had occurred since the day before, something which troubled me the more because Marguerite concealed it from me.
然而,自从前一天以来,发生了一些事情,更让我困扰的是,玛格丽特瞒着我。

In the evening she seemed a little calmer, and, making me sit at the foot of the bed, she told me many times how much she loved me. —
晚上她似乎稍微平静了一些,让我坐在床边,她多次告诉我她有多么爱我。 —

She smiled at me, but with an effort, for in spite of herself her eyes were veiled with tears.
她对我微笑,但却有些勉强,因为不管怎样,她的眼里都有泪水。

I used every means to make her confess the real cause of her distress, but she persisted in giving me nothing but vague reasons, as I have told you. —
我用尽了一切办法让她坦白她苦恼的真正原因,但她坚持只给我一些模糊的理由,就如我告诉你的那样。 —

At last she fell asleep in my arms, but it was the sleep which tires rather than rests the body. —
最后她在我的怀里睡着了,但这是一种疲惫而不是休息的睡眠。 —

From time to time she uttered a cry, started up, and, after assuring herself that I was beside her, made me swear that I would always love her.
偶尔她会发出一声惊叫,惊醒过来,确定我在她身边后,让我发誓我会永远爱她。

I could make nothing of these intermittent paroxysms of distress, which went on till morning. —
我对这些断断续续的痛苦发作一无所知,一直持续到早晨。 —

Then Marguerite fell into a kind of stupor. —
然后玛格丽特陷入了一种恍惚状态。 —

She had not slept for two nights.
她已经连续两个晚上没有睡觉了。

Her rest was of short duration, for toward eleven she awoke, and, seeing that I was up, she looked about her, crying:
然而她的休息时间很短,因为大约11点左右她醒来,看到我已经起床,她四处张望着,哭道:

“Are you going already?”
“你要走了吗?”

“No,” said I, holding her hands; “but I wanted to let you sleep on. It is still early.”
“不,”我握着她的手说道,”我只是想让你多睡一会儿。现在还很早。”

“What time are you going to Paris?”
“你几点去巴黎?”

“At four.”
“四点。”

“So soon? But you will stay with me till then?”
“这么快?但是你会一直陪我到那时候吧?”

“Of course. Do I not always?”
“当然。我不是一直都这样吗?”

“I am so glad! Shall we have lunch?” she went on absentmindedly.
“我很开心!我们吃午饭好吗?”她心不在焉地继续说道。

“If you like.”
“如果你愿意的话。”

“And then you will be nice to me till the very moment you go?”
“然后你会一直对我很好,直到你离开的那一刻吗?”

“Yes; and I will come back as soon as I can.”
“是的,然后我会尽快回来。”

“You will come back?” she said, looking at me with haggard eyes.
“你会回来吗?”她用疲惫的眼神看着我说道。

“Naturally.”
“当然。”

“Oh, yes, you will come back to-night. —
“哦,是的,你今晚会回来的。 —

I shall wait for you, as I always do, and you will love me, and we shall be happy, as we have been ever since we have known each other.”
我会等你,就像我一直以来这样等你,你会爱我,我们会快乐,就像我们相识以来一样。”

All these words were said in such a strained voice, they seemed to hide so persistent and so sorrowful a thought, that I trembled every moment lest Marguerite should become delirious.
所有这些话都是用一种紧张的声音说出来的,它们似乎隐藏着一种坚持而忧伤的思绪,我每时每刻都担心玛格丽特可能会发疯。

“Listen,” I said. “You are ill. I can not leave you like this. —
“听着,”我说,“你病了,我不能让你这样一个人。 —

I will write and tell my father not to expect me.”
我会写信告诉我父亲不用等我了。

“No, no,” she cried hastily, “don’t do that. —
“不,不,”她急忙说,“不要那样做。 —

Your father will accuse me of hindering you again from going to see him when he wants to see you; —
你父亲会指责我阻止你再去看他,而他想见你; —

no, no, you must go, you must! Besides, I am not ill. I am quite well. —
不,不,你必须去,你必须!此外,我没有生病。我很好。 —

I had a bad dream and am not yet fully awake.”
我做了一个噩梦,还没有完全清醒。”

From that moment Marguerite tried to seem more cheerful. There were no more tears.
从那一刻起,玛格丽特努力显得更加开朗。再也没有眼泪了。

When the hour came for me to go, I embraced her and asked her if she would come with me as far as the train; —
当我要离开的时候,我拥抱了她,问她是否愿意陪我一起去火车站; —

I hoped that the walk would distract her and that the air would do her good. —
我希望散步能让她分散注意力,新鲜空气能对她有益。 —

I wanted especially to be with her as long as possible.
我特意想尽可能多地陪着她。

She agreed, put on her cloak and took Nanine with her, so as not to return alone. —
她同意了,穿上外套,并带上娜妮娜陪她去,这样就不会一个人回来了。 —

Twenty times I was on the point of not going. —
有好几次我都差点不去了。 —

But the hope of a speedy return, and the fear of offending my father still more, sustained me, and I took my place in the train.
但是希望很快回来和怕再次冒犯我父亲的担心支持着我,我就坐上了火车。

“Till this evening!” I said to Marguerite, as I left her. She did not reply.
“待会儿见!”我告别玛格丽特时说。她没有回答。

Once already she had not replied to the same words, and the Comte de G., you will remember, had spent the night with her; —
之前有一次她也没有回答过同样的话,你一定还记得,那一晚上康德先生曾和她共度。 —

but that time was so far away that it seemed to have been effaced from my memory, and if I had any fear, it was certainly not of Marguerite being unfaithful to me. —
但那次已经太久远,似乎已经被我遗忘了,如果有什么担心的话,那肯定不是怀疑玛格丽特对我不忠。 —

Reaching Paris, I hastened off to see Prudence, intending to ask her to go and keep Marguerite company, in the hope that her mirth and liveliness would distract her. —
到了巴黎,我急忙去找普鲁登斯,打算请她去陪伴玛格丽特,希望她的欢声笑语能分散她的注意力。 —

I entered without being announced, and found Prudence at her toilet.
我没有经过宣布就进去了,发现普鲁登斯正在梳妆台前。

“Ah!” she said, anxiously; “is Marguerite with you?”
“啊!”她焦急地说道,”玛格丽特跟你一起来了吗?”

“No.”
“没有。”

“How is she?”
“她怎么样?”

“She is not well.”
“她不舒服。”

“Is she not coming?”
“她不会来了吗?”

“Did you expect her?”
“你期待她来吗?”

Madame Duvernoy reddened, and replied, with a certain constraint:
杜芙尔女士脸红了,有些局促地回答道:

“I only meant that since you are at Paris, is she not coming to join you?”
“我只是想说,既然你在巴黎,她不会来和你团聚吗?”

“No.”
“不会。”

I looked at Prudence; she cast down her eyes, and I read in her face the fear of seeing my visit prolonged.
我看着普鲁登斯,她低下了眼睛,我从她的脸上读出了她怕我的访问会延长的担心。

“I even came to ask you, my dear Prudence, if you have nothing to do this evening, to go and see Marguerite; —
“我甚至特意来问你,亲爱的普鲁登斯,今晚你有没有什么事情,去看看玛格丽特; —

you will be company for her, and you can stay the night. —
你可以陪她,还可以留宿一晚。 —

I never saw her as she was to-day, and I am afraid she is going to be ill.”
我从未见过她今天这样,我担心她要生病了。”

“I am dining in town,” replied Prudence, “and I can’t go and see Marguerite this evening. —
“我今晚在城里吃饭,” 普鲁登斯回答道,”我不能去看玛格丽特。 —

I will see her tomorrow.”
我明天会见她。

I took leave of Mme. Duvernoy, who seemed almost as preoccupied as Marguerite, and went on to my father’s; —
我告别了杜维尔努瓦夫人,她看起来几乎与玛格丽特一样心事重重,然后去了我父亲那里。 —

his first glance seemed to study me attentively. —
他的第一眼似乎在仔细地观察我。 —

He held out his hand.
他伸出手。

“Your two visits have given me pleasure, Armand,” he said; —
“阿尔芒德,你的两次拜访给了我快乐,”他说道; —

“they make me hope that you have thought over things on your side as I have on mine.”
“它们让我希望你在自己这一边也像我在自己那一边那样考虑了一下。”

“May I ask you, father, what was the result of your reflection?”
“父亲,请问您的思考有什么结果?”

“The result, my dear boy, is that I have exaggerated the importance of the reports that had been made to me, and that I have made up my mind to be less severe with you.”
“结果,我亲爱的孩子,就是我夸大了对我所听到的报告的重要性,并且我已经下定决心对你不再那么严厉。”

“What are you saying, father?” I cried joyously.
“你在说什么,父亲?”我高兴地喊道。

“I say, my dear child, that every young man must have his mistress, and that, from the fresh information I have had, I would rather see you the lover of Mlle. Gautier than of anyone else.”
“我说,我亲爱的孩子,每个年轻人都应该有自己的情人,通过我所得到的新信息,我宁愿看到你成为高蒂耶小姐的情人,而不是任何其他人。”

“My dear father, how happy you make me!”
“亲爱的父亲,你让我多么幸福啊!”

We talked in this manner for some moments, and then sat down to table. —
我们以这种方式交谈了一些时候,然后坐下来吃饭。 —

My father was charming all dinner time.
我的父亲整个晚餐时间都很有魅力。

I was in a hurry to get back to Bougival to tell Marguerite about this fortunate change, and I looked at the clock every moment.
我急着回布吉瓦尔告诉玛格丽特这个幸运的变化,我每时每刻都看着钟。

“You are watching the time,” said my father, “and you are impatient to leave me. —
我父亲说:“你一直在看时间,迫不及待地想离开我。” —

O young people, how you always sacrifice sincere to doubtful affections!”
年轻人啊,你们总是为了值得怀疑的感情而牺牲真诚的感情!

“Do not say that, father; Marguerite loves me, I am sure of it.”
“别这么说,父亲;玛格丽特爱我,我确信。”

My father did not answer; he seemed to say neither yes nor no.
我父亲没有回答,似乎既不是肯定也不是否定。

He was very insistent that I should spend the whole evening with him and not go till the morning; —
他坚持着要我整个晚上都和他在一起,不到早上不让我离开; —

but Marguerite had not been well when I left her. —
但我离开她时,玛格丽特身体不舒服。 —

I told him of it, and begged his permission to go back to her early, promising to come again on the morrow.
我告诉他了这件事,并请求他允许我早回去找她,答应明天再来。

The weather was fine; he walked with me as far as the station. Never had I been so happy. —
天气很好,他陪我走到了车站。我从未如此幸福过。 —

The future appeared as I had long desired to see it. —
未来出现了我一直想看到的样子。 —

I had never loved my father as I loved him at that moment.
我从未像此刻这样爱过我的父亲。

Just as I was leaving him, he once more begged me to stay. I refused.
就在我准备离开他的时候,他再次恳求我留下。我拒绝了。

“You are really very much in love with her?” he asked.
“你真的非常爱她吗?”他问道。

“Madly.”
“疯狂地爱着她。”

“Go, then,” and he passed his hand across his forehead as if to chase a thought, then opened his mouth as if to say something; —
“那就去吧,”他用手掌拂过额头,仿佛要驱散一个念头,然后张开嘴巴好像想说些什么; —

but he only pressed my hand, and left me hurriedly, saying:
但他只是紧紧握住我的手,匆匆离去,说道:

“Till to-morrow, then!”
“那么明天见!”